Mar 26, 2008

Chivalry, Anyone?

I have always believed in being polite and even chivalrous when it comes to the fairer sex but there is one thing that has always been kind of a gray area.  Of course when you are with a lady you open the door for her, that much is simple, and if a woman is right behind you, going into our out of a building you hold the door for them also... but how far does that courtesy extend?  If they are five feet behind you, yes get the door.  If they are ten feet behind you, yes get the door.  But what about 15 or 20 feet?  This happens all the time at my work and I still don't know what to do.  If I just open the door and walk through letting it close behind me I feel like a jerk, but if I stand there and hold it open, what always happens is the woman then feels rushed and has to hurry to get through the door so that they don't inconvenience you too much... and I end up feeling like a jerk.   It seems like a no win situation.

This is just one of the many moral dilemmas that face men on a daily basis.  Another would be should we put the toilet seat back down in a public bathroom?  My feeling is, if it is a male only bathroom leave the seat up but if it is for men or women put it down.
 

10 comments:

betsyann said...

I think...If she is more than 5 steps behind you, you can shut the door. That's 10ish feet?

Trinket said...

I agree with Betsy about the doors, and I think toilet seat up or down is fine. If both sexes are using a public restroom, then either way is fine, I think. (Unless you just want the next person to have a more aesthetically pleasing bathroom.) :)

lobiwan said...

You should carry a key in your pocket. Go ahead and enter the building, then pretend like you forgot something. Big gestures, like slapping your hand to your forehead will help. Look as though you are contemplating something for what ever time frame necessary. Then whip around and walk out the door just in time to hold the door open for the lady in question. As soon as you leave the building, casually slip your hand in your pocket and pull out... your key! it isn't in your car it was in your pocket all along! Turn and go back through the door. Repeat as needed until all visible females have been ushered through the door.

betsyann said...

Toilet seats and lids should always be down. Otherwise when you flush you send all the particles into the air for you to breathe. Yuck!

Anonymous said...

i personally think you should never leave the door. you might miss someone somewhere. This should be done for women and men. Social graces are more important that getting work done. It's either that or shut the door, lock it and laugh at them from the inside while they get rained on.

Jason R said...

Ha! I've finally infiltrated the G-City mafia.

I say the toilet seat should always be up. It's bathroom karma. You're sort of helping out the next guy who has to have a sit-down transaction right after the guy that refuses to aim. You gotta pay it forward.

nattyman said...

Betsyann, thanks I will quote you on that when I get a dirty look for not holding the door "Betsy said 10 feet was the rule". Of course they are behind me so I probably won't see the dirty look.

lobiwan, that sounds rather complicated... I am going to have to go with Betsyann and trinket on this one.

Matches, I tried your idea of staying at the door. I did make about $7 in tips but nearly lost my job when I didn't show up after 3 days... thanks a lot ;-)

jason r, we are cityless on the www so welcome. I completely agree that in a bathroom used only by men the seat should just be left up, for the very reason you state.

In the Mix said...

I agree with Betsy on all counts. 10 feet behind is acceptable to wait to hold the door. And, toilet seat and lids down always. Imagine little fecal particulates floating around as you stand there unsuspectingly. Then imagine those little buggers landing on EVERY surface you touch. Just put the seat and lid down. Problem partially solved.

nattyman said...

I was thinking more of just public restrooms where there is just a seat not a lid. In which case it isn't going to help with keeping stuff out of the air. I always put it down in someones home.

lobiwan said...

jr-- Heath was blackballed three years ago. Why do you think he moved?