Jul 19, 2007

Independence Day

We spent Independence Day and the rest of the week in GC. I would like to say 'thank you' to whoever at the city or county that decided to outlaw firecrackers in the 3i parking lot. I was just telling Jenny before hand how that place used to be like a war zone. Then when we were pulling into the lot past some policemen, I overheard one of them use the exact same wording about how before firecrackers were banned from the 3i parking lot it was like a war zone.

One year in Hike School a family friend had bought 10,000 of those long glow stick necklaces to sell on the 4th. He told Travis and I that we could split the profits with him of whatever we sold. So we spent the evening dodging firecrackers from what would ordinary be sane people driven mad with the lust of loud bangs and bright lights. We went home that night shell shocked with an extra $100 bucks in the pockets of our ruined shorts and ruined shirts full of burn holes.

Here are some pictures I took of the fireworks...




4 comments:

betsyann said...

I like the first one best. Do you have to do something special to get those?

Gail said...

Great pictures!
It was a wonderful evening down there without having to be afraid of getting blown up.
Gai

nattyman said...

Betsy, yes I had to set the camera on a tripod and use long exposure times. For some of them I had the shutter stay open for 30 seconds and for others I just held it open for as long as I wanted, usually shorter than 30 seconds. That way you can get multiple fireworks at a time, even if they didn't actually go off at the same time. Since it is night you don't have to worry about over exposure.

Anonymous said...

wow! BEAUTIFUL! ABSOLUTELY GEORGIOUS! I LOVE IT!!!

Do me a favor and submit one of your nature pictures to
http://www.parade.com/celebrate/
today. And make it today because the contest ends today.

matt