Oct 17, 2007

In Rainbows

I took this with my cellphone leaving work tonight. It was the biggest brightest fullest rainbow I have ever seen. I could clearly see both ends of it and everything in between.


Speaking of Rainbows, you may have noticed I added a little music player over on the right hand side with 3 songs in it. These are from the latest 3 albums that I have bought.

  • Alexi Murdoch's Orange Sky from "Time Without Consequence", I think everyone will like. It is kind of folksy laid back music. The entire CD is very simple and peaceful both musically and lyrically.
  • Radiohead's Bodysnatcher, is my favorite song from their latest album "In Rainbows" (fitting for the picture above), their experimental project allowing you to download the entire album for whatever price you want to pay. The CD itself is nothing ground breaking on their part, but if you like their last few albums you should like this one too.
  • Emery is a band whose first 2 albums I bought because Aaron Sprinkle produced them. Then when I listened to the full songs they had screaming in parts of them. I was pretty disappointed at first but I really liked the rest of the music so I thought I would try pushing through. After listening to the songs several times I not only liked them in spite of the screaming but partially because of it. This is the only band with screaming that I have ever liked. Their newest album "I'm Only a man" has very little screaming in it but I would also say it is not quite as good as the last 2 either. This particular song, "The Movie Song" doesn't not have any screaming so listen at ease :-)
My favorite of these three is the one that I only discovered because iTunes recommended it to me and it also has the greatest mass appeal to those of you who read my blog (I think), Alexi Murdoch's "Time Without Consequence".

I don't normally ask questions. Probably for fear of nobody answering them and then looking stupid, but I will take a chance today and ask what are some of the recent albums you bought and did you like them?

3 comments:

nattyman said...

...and this is why I don't ask questions. One week later and still no comments.

Todd said...

I will comment so you don't go 0-for...

I bought "In Rainbows" last week. I spent several hours going to the website and almost buying it for $.05, then $1.00. I couldn't do it. I bought it for $15, which is still, in my opinion, less than it is worth. It was still my way to join with others in sticking it to the record companies who "over-profit" from other's artistry.

It was good, but like you said, nothing mind-boggling. However, the bar has been set pretty high. My favorite is still "Kid A".

I also bought Samantha Crain's five song project. Very good. You should check it out.

Not long after that I bought Kevin Drew's, Emily Haine's and Feist's (all from "Broken Social Scene) latest works. You will recognize Feist from the latest iPod Nano commercial. All really good stuff.

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking for a week on your question. an album bought recently. i haven't spent any money on music lately, which I loathe. But one group of kids i've discovered recently is the Arctic Monkeys. They have been around along time, but are akin to the beetles in the UK. These kids know how to rock and can make the girls scream. Their music is just FUN. My 4 year old loves to dance to it with her daddy.